While harsh chemicals, such as borax and chlorine bleach, are well known mold killers, they can pose a health risk to yourself, your family, the environment and wildlife. Because of this, the desire to choose nontoxic and organic mold killers have risen in popularity. While the following safer mold remedies are effective for small problems, larger infestations, however, will require the help of a professional mold remediation Maryland.
Distilled white vinegar is a versatile and safer option for household uses. It can be used to clean, disinfect, decrease and deodorize a wide array of surfaces. Distilled white vinegar is also an effective mold and mildew killer. Unfortunately, some people are put off by vinegar’s pungent aroma. The good news is that this smell will dissipate rather quickly. Pour undiluted vinegar into a spray bottle and liberally mist the offending area. Let the vinegar sit on the surface for a few hours before scrubbing clean and then rinsing the surface with water. You should dry the surface thoroughly to prevent future fungal growth. A good tip is to add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the spray bottle if the vinegar’s odor is too much for you.
This natural mold killer is one you may already have on hand since it is a common ingredient in a wide array of recipes. This mild yet effective disinfectant can get rid of odors and kill mold. To use, dissolve ½ cup of baking soda in 2 cups of water and scrub the mold off the surface with the mixture. Rinse the surface clean with water and wipe dry. Keep in mind, however, that despite its relatively safe nature, baking soda can still pose a risk if too much is ingested by children or pets. Because of this, you should always keep it out of reach of kids and pets.
Tea Tree Oil
Extracted from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia tree, tea tree oil has long been desired for its medicinal value. It is also an effective cleanser and can take care of mold and mildew infestation without posing a risk to the environment. Simply mix two teaspoons of the essential oil with two cups of cool water. Mist the fungal growth with solution and let sit for several hours before rinsing the surface clean with a rag dampened with cool water.